Learn business growth with Google Analytics 4 Forums Google Analytics 4 Compatibility issue with pagePathPlusQueryString and dateHourMinute in GA4 Query Reply To: Compatibility issue with pagePathPlusQueryString and dateHourMinute in GA4 Query

• Isabella

19 February 2023 at 7:16 am

I understand your frustration. You are facing this problem due to certain limitations within GA4’s dimensions compatibility. GA4 doesn’t allow using the dimensions dateHourMinute and pagePathPlusQueryString together. The reason is that dateHourMinute is considered a higher cardinality dimension and GA4 prevents it from being used with certain dimensions like pagePathPlusQueryString due to the massive amounts of unique combinations this would generate, leading to potential performance issues.

While it’s true this limitation was not in UA (Universal Analytics, or “V1” as you referred to it), GA4 has a different structure and different rules about which fields can be used together.

My recommendation is to analyze these dimensions independently, exporting two separate datasets if necessary: one with dateHourMinute, and one with pagePathPlusQueryString. Then, you could use your own processing tools like Excel or Google Sheets to combine or compare these datasets and get the insights you’re after. I know this is an extra step, but with the current API limitations, this might be the best workaround.