Learn business growth with Google Analytics 4 Forums Google Analytics 4 Troubleshooting Access Issues in PHP Google Analytics4 Admin

  • Troubleshooting Access Issues in PHP Google Analytics4 Admin

    Posted by John on 2 May 2022 at 2:21 pm

    Hey, have you experienced this peculiar situation like I did? I was attempting to access a simple function in GA4 admin, and all of sudden I received this exception listing out all the issues (reason, status, message). Let me try to recreate what I did from the start:

    First, I had a URL to do the redirect like this:

    Do you see anything unusual in this part?

    What followed next was the creation of a GoogleClient after receiving a callback code:

    Now, this did seem to go as planned. Then, I made an attempt to get the access token from the obtained code:

    And soon after, I managed to get an analytics client:

    Following that, aiming for the account summaries seemed like the logical thing to do:

    Here, things got a bit tricky. This particular action threw an exception:

    Here comes the puzzling part. This is all fine and dandy in my development environment. As soon as I transitioned up to our staging testing environment, this problem began. Now, the project does have these APIs enabled, at least according to the console:

    Google Analytics Admin API
    Google Analytics API
    Google Analytics Data API

    Moreover, I’ve created a new Google account under this project (to the best of my knowledge), and that’s what I selected when the redirect prompted the permissions page.

    Just to add, this question is refined from one I had previously posted and later removed. This version is more complete and reflects my progress more accurately.

    Our API is still in alpha, do you know when the beta version will contain more functionalities? Or even better, when will the final code be released? We’re planning to start using GA4 in just a few months.

    Lastly, here’s what my $OathKeyFile looks like:

    Do you see any problems in these steps? Also, any idea what “WEIRD_PROJECT_ID” might refer to in the exception?

    Emma replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Sebastian

    Member
    9 March 2023 at 10:40 am

    Based on your question, you are trying to understand why an exception was thrown when attempting to access a function in GA4 admin in your staging testing environment, even though it worked perfectly fine in your development environment. It’s clear that the issues arose primarily during the transition from your development to the staging testing environment.

    There could be several reasons for this. One possible reason could be differences between the configurations in the two environments. For example, there might be certain permissions or settings enabled in your development environment that are not enabled in your staging environment.

    In terms of the “WEIRD_PROJECT_ID” you asked about in the exception, this sounds like it might be referring to the project ID of your Google Cloud project. If the project ID in the console doesn’t match the one specified in your code or configuration files, this could certainly cause issues. It’s hard to say without more context, but it’s definitely something worth checking out.

    Finally, you were asking about the timeline for the beta release and final code of your API. It’s hard to give a definitive answer since this can depend on numerous factors, including the scope of the project, resources available, any issues that might arise during testing, and so on. It would be best to thoroughly test the alpha version of the API and iron out any issues before moving ahead with a beta release.

    Without a look at the specifics of your project and its configuration in both environments, these are just general areas to check and think about. Hope this helps in some way!

  • Emma

    Member
    28 March 2023 at 4:47 pm

    It’s challenging to determine the exact issue without seeing the specific code snippets you’re referencing. Still, there are a few common misconceptions you might want to check.

    Firstly, make sure you have matched the Client ID and Secret in your staging environment with those in your Oauth key file and also check that the data in your Oauth Key file and the registered app in Google Developer Console are matching perfectly.

    Sometimes, the “WEIRD_PROJECT_ID” might refer to the project ID in your Google Cloud console, it could be a placeholder for your actual project id. Double check that you’ve replaced it with the actual correct project ID.

    If your API is still in alpha, it’s likely that it doesn’t have all functionality released yet. Generally, in the alpha testing stage, only a select group of users try out the product. They’ll typically report any bugs or issues they encounter, and those will be fixed before moving into beta. The beta version usually has more functionalities than the alpha version, as many of the critical bugs found in the alpha stage are fixed.

    However, it’s hard to tell when exactly the beta version will be available or when the final code will be released as it mostly depends on the company and their roadmap. Do keep an eye out for updates from Google for GA4’s release schedule.

    The process you’ve laid out for using the Google Analytics API seems correct, so it’s quite puzzling why it’s not working in staging when it works in your development environment. The missing bits of code or any environmental differences between your development and staging environments could account for this unexpected behavior.

Log in to reply.