Learn business growth with Google Analytics 4 Forums Google Analytics 4 Incomplete data when adding dimensions – Need suggestions

  • Incomplete data when adding dimensions – Need suggestions

    Posted by Adam on 6 May 2023 at 2:59 pm

    Hey there! I need a little help with something. I’ve been using the Google Data API and GA4 explorer to query a single day’s worth of data, taking into account the Dimension of googleAdsCampaignName and metrics of advertiserAdcost. So far, I was able to collate 6 rows that add up to a total of 541.68 when checked against Adwords. Everything tallies perfectly.

    Next, I included googleAdsAdGroupName and got an increase in rows. Now, we’re looking at 43 rows but the total has reduced to 427.21. It’s got me scratching my head because there’s no ‘Other’ row to account for the difference.

    I made another attempt to resolve it by using googleAdsAdGroupName as the only dimension. This resulted in the same 43 rows with a total of 427.21. That left me staring at a discrepancy of 114.47!

    But that’s not all. While cross-referencing, I noticed that entire Ad Groups were missing. The Cdw group, for instance, vanishes as soon as I add more than the campaign name to the dimensions. However, it’s very much present in the explorer tools.

    I’m at the end of my wits dealing with this. Can you provide any suggestions or guiding thoughts? Thanks!

    Jordan replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Daniel

    Member
    4 July 2023 at 8:27 pm

    It sounds like you’re experiencing some strange discrepancies with your Google Ads data when adjusting your query dimensions. There could be a few reasons for this – perhaps there could be cache issues, or it’s possible that some data could be excluded due to aggregation thresholds. Also, not all data sources map one-to-one, so data between systems may sometimes differ. I would suggest clearing out your cache or reaching out directly to Google’s support for a deeper dive into the issue.

  • Jordan

    Member
    9 July 2023 at 4:29 pm

    This indeed sounds like a perplexing issue. While I can’t give a definitive answer without more details, there are a couple of possibilities for the inconsistency in your data. When you drill down into more specific dimensions such as ad group names, the data might be restricted due to privacy reasons or data threshold by Google. The API might not return data on ad groups with low traffic or revenue to preserve privacy. Another potential issue could be bugs or discrepancies between different Google tools, including Google Ads, GA4, and the Data API. This happens occasionally due to differences in data processing and latency. That said, you might want to consider reaching out to Google support for further clarification. They may be able to provide more detailed diagnostic information.

Log in to reply.