Learn business growth with Google Analytics 4 Forums Google Analytics 4 Resolving Challenges with Custom Data Attributes and Google Analytics Integration Reply To: Resolving Challenges with Custom Data Attributes and Google Analytics Integration

• Logan

28 June 2023 at 11:24 am

Sure, here’s how it works.

Suppose you’ve got a simple version of the HTML code. A user clicks on an element, let’s call it “z”. Now when the user does this, Google Tag Manager (GTM) springs into action and captures the “data-analytics-title”.

‘Yeah, but why don’t we get the values for the “data-analytics-section-engagement” and “data-analytics-region” too?’ I hear you ask. Well, it’s because those are different elements entirely!

What we need to do next is to find these elements, y and x. You see, all of these tags are related, just like a family tree! We’ve got the clickable ‘z’ element that originates from the ‘y’ and ‘x’ elements.

Now there are a couple ways we can find these, but I recommend trying the Element.closest() approach. We’re gonna use this to navigate from our click point, the ‘z’, upwards to the ‘y’ and ‘x’ elements.

Here’s a bit of JavaScript that might help you capture those elusive “data-analytics-section-engagement” and “data-analytics-region” values:

`javascript
    var clickElement = {{Click Element}};
    var findXElement = clickElement.closest(‘x’);
    var dataAnalyticsRegionValue = findXElement.getAttribute(“data-analytics-region”);
    var findYElement = clickElement.closest(‘y’);
    var dataAnalyticsSectionEngagementValue = findYElement.getAttribute(“data-analytics-section-engagement”);
    `

Oh, before I forget: you may need to tweak the code slightly to fit your real HTML content. But hey, isn’t the process of discovery fun? You’re on the right track!

I hope this helps. Happy coding!