Learn business growth with Google Analytics 4 Forums Google Analytics 4 Understanding the Occurrence of Multiple User Pseudo IDs with GA4 Session IDs Reply To: Understanding the Occurrence of Multiple User Pseudo IDs with GA4 Session IDs

• Brooke

16 April 2023 at 10:28 pm

Certainly, I’d be happy to simplify.

The situation you’re experiencing is normal and has to do with how sessions are identified in Google Analytics 4. Essentially, a unique session in GA4 isn’t determined solely by the session ID, but rather by a combination of both the session ID, or ga_session_id, and the user_pseudo_id.

So, you might run into a situation where it appears two different user_pseudo_ids are associated with the same ga_session_id. But remember, it’s the combo of these two that identifies a unique session, not just the session ID alone. Basically, GA4 is designed to work this way!

If you want more info, you can check out an article I put together explaining how to identify and calculate sessions on the official Google Analytics Developers page. I sure hope this clears things up!