Learn business growth with Google Analytics 4 Forums Google Analytics 4 Understanding Engagement Parameters in Google Analytics 4 Reply To: Understanding Engagement Parameters in Google Analytics 4

• Owen

9 December 2022 at 11:39 am

You’ve hit the nail on the head with your curiosity. In Google Analytics 4, the session_engaged parameter is mainly used to calculate engagement. It simply gives us a green signal when a session starts heating up, a clear way of showing that the user is involved.

On the flip side, we have engaged_session_event. This adds a bit more context to the mix. It’s not just about knowing if a session is engaged, but also counting the number of engaged sessions the user is involved in. Interesting, huh?

Now, while exploring the raw data, you’ve noticed that your conversion events sent by the Measurement Protocol don’t have the “session_engaged” event parameter, but they do flaunt that engaged_session_event tag. I know it’s not exactly what you expected, but hold on.

I have a hunch, and take it with a grain of salt, that this tag might be triggered inside GA4, but isn’t exported in the raw data. That’s probably the reason why your hunt hasn’t been fruitful. You certainly are on to something there. However, when I tinker around with the engagement configurations, the only change I see is in the count of engaged sessions. Nothing else moves an inch.

But, don’t you worry. This doesn’t make your sessions any less engaging. It’s all a part of the GA4 mystery, don’t you think?